In the past few years, social media has taken a drastic shift from being based solely around status updates and text to pictures and videos. While YouTube has been around for almost 12 years, this shift has allowed for new social media platforms to take rise and become giants in pop culture. With this rise, businesses saw an opportunity to use these channels to market to their select audiences. In this blog I will discuss reasons why marketers should use these platforms and tips on how to be successful.
AJ Agrawal wrote an article explaining the importance of content marketing on YouTube in 3 basic steps:
- Create an Image of Authority. YouTube is a great way for businesses to engage and connect with their target audience. By adding video content with tips and tricks, or videos you know your audience will interact with and enjoy, marketers will help create brand recognition and authority.
- Builds Credibility and Trust. By uploading helpful video content on how to use your product or service, customers will know you have a genuine interest in their well-being. Taking the extra time and effort to help you consumer base will express your sincerity and thus build a whole new level of trust.
- More Engaging than Older Forms of Media. YouTube is more enjoyable and entertaining that most traditional forms of media. Our culture is watching video after video on a daily basis, so choosing to refrain from using Youtube as a channel for your marketing is a crucial mistake.
Instagram has over 400 million users and over 70 million uploads each day. This alone should be a signal that marketers need to use this platform to reach a very large audience. Margot da Cunha wrote an article listing 10 very helpful tips for marketers looking to grow their presence on Instagram. Of these, three stood out to me as being very beneficial:
2. Partner with a Good Cause that Supports Your Brand’s Values. Its always good practice for businesses to have a mission beyond the product or service they are selling. Whether it be being environmentally conscious, partnering with a local homeless shelter, or raising funds for medical research, most successful business have partnerships to help the world become a better place. Instagram is the perfect place to showcase these partnerships. Consumers, especially the younger generations, are driven by different causes and are constantly seeking how they can benefit others while benefitting themselves. Showcasing these partnerships will establish a way for consumers to get involved with your business and present your brand as one than is genuine.
9. Showcase Beautiful Experiences Relevant to Your Brand. Use Instagram for what it’s made for: captivating pictures! Regardless of what your business does, try to find beauty in it. If you don’t have the means to delegate someone to photography, start a hashtag campaign and have your audience submit photos of your product or service and use their photos to further capture your audience.
10. Interact with Others on Instagram to Grow Your Following. Engagement is a two-way street. In order for people to want to engage with you, you must continually interact with them. Liking pictures, replying to comments, and setting up contests are great way to engage with your followers and also reach larger audiences.
Starting in 2011, Snapchat is one of the newest and fastest growing social media platforms around. With over 150 million daily users, snapchat has become a huge hit in pop culture. Snapchat also recently created a feature that spotlights different businesses and news outlets on a daily basis. These companies update their channels on a daily basis. Additionally, Snapchat has also recently introduced short 10-second ads that display between stories. While this is a great feature, businesses don’t need to pay for advertisements in order to have huge success marketing on snapchat.
Eric Siu wrote an article describing 10 ways businesses can be successful marketing on snapchat. Four of Siu’s ten tips struck me as being very beneficial to businesses:
3. Share Promo Codes. Using coupon codes will make your brand’s Snapchat attractive. Rewarding followers for staying connected will make them want to continue to check your snaps and grow your business.
4. Give VIP Access. Take your followers behind the scenes. Showing them how your product is made or how events take place will make them feel special. It will also give them a chance to see how things work without having to present in real life. Sports teams like the Kansas City Royals are doing this to show what goes on behind the scenes before games.
6. Demo Your Product. Showcasing how your product works on snapchats will make users clearly understand what your product does. Seeing a product in action helps give users a sense of clarity and trust.
9. Give Exclusive Previews. Give information about new products and use tip 6 to demo them before release. Showcasing products that haven’t released yet will build excitement and create a brand following.
Utilizing these social media platforms are key in any businesses photo and video content marketing. With a large user base, these platforms allow for businesses to expand their reach and increase sales.